This historic town of Lansdowne is situated at an altitude of about 5700 feet above sea level. Lansdowne was founded and named after then Viceroy of India, Lord Lansdowne in 1887, and by 1901 it had a population of 3943.
Lansdowne was developed by the British for catering for the Recruits Training center of the Garhwal Rifles.
Lansdowne was a major place of the activities of freedom fighters from British Garhwal during British period.
Nowadays, the famous Garhwal Rifles of the Indian Army has its command office here. Lansdowne is one of the quietest hill stations of India and is popular since British came to India.